Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy-Go-Lucky Quilt Continues. . .Finally

In December I displayed the fabric for this Happy-Go-Lucky quilt to make for my Mom's birthday.  Well, her birthday is next week (boy, time does fly) so I'm finally getting to it.
I just love looking at this stack of fabrics and am happy to be making it into something.  There are two block types for this quilt with a total of 80 blocks.
Begin all blocks by cutting two 2 1/2" squares and two 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips on one fabric and a 2 1/2" square of a different fabric. 
Sew center 2 1/2" square to one square of the main fabric (always with a 1/4" seam).  
Sew the second main fabric square to the other side of the center fabric square.  Press.  I pressed the seams toward the center square.
Add one 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" strip of main fabric to top; sew.  Complete block by sewing the other main fabric strip to the bottom.  Press seams toward center.  Make a total of 80 blocks.
For the second block type, cut 96 2" squares of a background fabric.  Draw a line diagonally across the backside of the squares.  Sew a square on each corner of 24 of the previously completed blocks on the diagonal line. 
Press the seam to the outside corners.  I did not trim the excess fabric under the corner.   
All my blocks are sewn and ready to go.  There is one more block to be done.  It is a monogrammed 12 1/2" block.  I love to applique (my favorite technique) and look forward to sharing that with you next.


Until next time,







No comments: