Thursday, March 8, 2012

Melting Crayons to Color Fabric. . .

My disciplined side told me to work on the "Bloom" challenge quilt today.  But my venturesome side decided to try the technique we're trying in our next art workshop:  coloring fabric with melted crayons.
It all began with this book by Terrie Linn Kygar.  Following her instructions I did the following:
1) Drew a leaf on the paper-side of fusible web and pressed it onto white batik.  2)  The leaf was cut out and pressed onto a pressing sheet.  3) The crayon was then melted on the hot pressing sheet, dipped into with a folded napkin, and rubbed onto the leaf.  Four colors were blended together to create this leaf.  4) A Pigma pen was used to draw the vein details.  5) Colored pencils were used to outline the leaf and draw over the pen details, and blended with a small stencil brush.  And here is the result.  I enjoyed doing this and thought I would try again.
Here is the second leaf in different colors.  Now what to do with them.  I dug through my fabric stash, found something that would work and made a few more leaves of different shapes and sizes to add perspective.
And here's what I came up with it.  I trimmed up the edges and am planning on adding asymmetrical borders.
This is what I had in mind but my husband feels I should leave the borders off and just bind it.  What are your thoughts?  I would love to know.  Will get back to "Bloom" this weekend.


Until next time,

No comments: