Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making Monogram Block for Mom's Quilt. . .

With the quilt blocks done, the last block left to make to allow me to put it together is a monogramed block.
The block begins with an 8 1/2" square of the background fabric.
I selected a fabric from my Moda fabric pack for the blocks borders.  There were two strips cut at 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" and two strips at 2 1/2" x 12 1/2".  I will sew the borders on after I have appliqued the monogram.
I found the letter "K" in my font of choice in Photoshop Elements.  It is sized at 5 1/2" and mirrored from the original.  Remember that it needs to be reversed to trace onto fusible web.  Using SoftFuse fusible web, which I like for this project because of its soft hand, I traced the letter and pressed it to the reverse side of my applique fabric.
The letter was cut out and pressed to the background block.  I am quite picky about my applique threadwork lying flat.  To ensure that, I need a stabilizer to spray baste to the background square.  My stabilizer of choice is a piece of Pellon's Easy Pattern #830 lightweight nonwoven interfacing cut slightly larger than the square.  Once the background square is prepared, sewing can begin.
The letter was stitched with a light blue thread with the buttonhole stitch.
Now that the applique is complete, the borders are sewn on.  The 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips are sewn to both sides.  
The 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" strips are then sewn to the top and bottom of the square.  All of the quilt blocks are now complete.
The blocks are laid out in a pleasing manner and ready to sew together.


Until next time,



No comments: