Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Velda Newman's Melon Study continues. . .

Hello everyone.  It's great to be back.  I was surprised by the blogger withdrawal I have experienced while being without a computer.  I'll continue with the Melon Study I was working on when last I posted.
 This melon was cut approximately 1" larger than the pattern piece.  Batting was cut to the exact pattern size and was spray basted to the back.  Tea-dyed cheesecloth was laid over the prepared melon.
Six threads were pulled every inch in one direction only.  With scissors, slits were cut.  The slits were supposed to be cut in the same direction the threads were pulled.  You can see that I messed up by cutting slits in the opposite direction.  I did cut slits in the correct direction too.  My holes just go in all directions rather than in one.
 The melon was spray basted and the prepared cheesecloth laid on top.  Using tweezers, the cheesecloth was  thenseparated to create various sized holes.  Wavy lines were free-motion quilted over the entire piece in thread matching the cheesecloth color.  Here is the backside of the melon after quilting.
Here is the final product.  Pretty cool, huh?  Glad to be back.  Keep watching.  I will next post melons 3 and 4.


No comments: