As I was beginning to work on prepping my fabric choices for my abstract quilt project, I decided to make a change in my technique. I went back to my preferred applique technique of using shirt-tailor interfacing for my stabilizer. This interfacing is my preference as it is fusible and a heavy enough stabilizer to keep all of my thread work flat. It's also thick enough to create a stiff edge to fold the seam allowance over. Freezer paper and tear-away stabilizer are now no longer necessary for the individual segments. I drew the full pattern on the interfacing and cut out the segments. The interfacing segments were then placed on the corresponding fabric and fused.
Stay-stitching was then sewn around each segment that is going to be embellished prior to cutting the fabric segments apart. If embellishment is not required, stay-stitching is not required as the stay-stitching acts as a pattern outline.
All pieces were cut apart with approximately 1/2" seam allowance. I am now ready to begin embellishing.
This change of technique demonstrates how trying and using a new technique a few times will then allow you, as the artist, to keep what works, throw out what doesn't, and eventually make it yours.